Home Learning Set 26.10.18
This week the children's home learning will once again be three-fold:
- Firstly, there is a spelling list below which your child should try to learn. This will be a weekly occurrence and the list supports the learning that happens in our Friday spellings lesson.
- Secondly, your child will have a maths activity set for them on the MyMaths website- this week's activity uses word problems so please ensure the children read them very carefully! They will have received their MyMaths login details and should log on and complete these tasks by Friday 9th November. If your child is unable to complete this online homework for whatever reason, please let us know and we will ensure they are able to complete it in school.
Thirdly, your child should complete a task from the literacy home learning wall.
Spelling list 9/11/18
To be tested 16/11/18
***Trip! On 8th November, we will be visiting Swindon Steam Museum. It would be fantastic for your child to dress up in order for the day to be as beneficial as possible***
The trip will take place on Thursday 8th November 2018, with a coach leaving shortly after registration to arrive at the museum by 10am, returning to school before the end of the school day. We will require some adult helpers to support the trip. Please inform the office if you can help and, as we only have a limited number of adult spaces, we will contact you to confirm your space. Children will need to bring a packed lunch. Any children who require free school meals can request a school packed lunch prior to the day of the trip.
All additional information will be on Parent Pay or if you have any further queries, please speak to Mr Jarman or Mr Jarman.
Children from Y6 doing a bit of Pirate Maths...
Welcome to Year 6
Welcome to the Year 6 web page. On this page, you will find lots of useful information: key dates for trips, letters, a curriculum overview and lots more! Year 6 is a fantastic year and the children will have lots of opportunities to showcase their range of skills and talents. If you have any questions about your child's learning, please do not hesitate to contact Mr Jarman (young or old!). We are both looking forward to a fantastic year :)
Messrs Jarman and Jarman
Literacy and Numeracy Term 2
In this section of our web page, we will provide regular updates regarding our Numeracy and Literacy content. We will endeavour to supply the information before we teach the content which will enable parents/carers to chat about it with their children if they wish.
Literacy: To link in with our WWII topic, we will be studying the book 'Goodnight Mr Tom' by Michelle Magorian. The author paints a very sensitive picture of love, hatred and loss in Goodnight Mr Tom. Through his exposure to different environments after moving into a foster home with Mr. Tom during the second world war, the main character dramatically transforms from “Silly Sissie Willie” to Will. We will be using this novel to generate our own pieces of writing.
Numeracy: Within the first few weeks of term, our main focus will be fractions. These are the objectives from the National Curriculum:
- use common factors to simplify fractions; use common multiples to express fractions
in the same denomination
- compare and order fractions, including fractions > 1
- add and subtract fractions with different denominators and mixed numbers, using the
concept of equivalent fractions
- multiply simple pairs of proper fractions, writing the answer in its simplest form
- divide proper fractions by whole numbers [for example, 3
- associate a fraction with division and calculate decimal fraction equivalents [for
example, 0.375] for a simple fraction [for example, 8
- identify the value of each digit in numbers given to three decimal places and multiply
and divide numbers by 10, 100 and 1000 giving answers up to three decimal places
The children will be given a spelling task each Friday and these words should be practised at home.
Maths homework will be online with my maths. Your child will be given a log on and set homework which is relevant to what we have been doing in class. Please see us if you have any problems doing homework online.
For literacy, the children will be given a homework bank(please see below) for the first two terms. They should aim to do one homework per week but may choose which one . The homework should be done in their homework books and handed in by Wednesday each week.
Thanks you in advance in supporting your child's home learning.
Curriculum Overview Term 2
Here you can find information regarding all other aspects of the curriculum for the forthcoming term.
Topic: This term our topic is World War 2. The children will begin by asking questions about World War 2 and exploring artefacts. They will then learn about many different aspects of the war. Including; the Blitz, evacuation, propaganda and The Home Front. We also have a trip to the STEAM museum planned, where we will dress up in World War 2 style clothes. Much of our literacy will be taught through learning about World War 2; including using the book ‘Goodnight Mr Tom’; learning about Anne Frank and writing newspaper articles about the D-Day landings.
PE: The focus for PE in term 2 is football.
RE: The children will be studying Judaism this term, specifically they will be trying to answer the question “What do Jews believe?”
PSHE: We will be 'celebrating differences' in our PSHE work this term.