Meet the Year 2 Team!
Welcome to Year 2
Please find below information about the curriculum as well as important diary dates and routines and procedures in year 2.
SATS information evening (for parents and carers): The SATS presentation i below.
Reading Workshop: We invite you to come in and read to / with your child every Monday morning between 8:50 and 9:10.
Trips and visits:
We will add information about trips here as soon as we are able to confirm them. We know that you appreciate as much prior warning as possible. We welcome parent volunteers to help out on our trips, and will endeavour to make the process a fair one by keeping track of everyone who's come along throughout the year. There will also be opportunities to come in and help with various activities in school, so please do let us know if you'd like to lend a hand!
2B - Mr Williams
2J - Miss Davies
2W - Miss Nicholls
In literacy we will start Term 4 by reading Iron Man by Ted Hughes.
The children will be inspired to create character descriptions, write instructions and we will also investigate the story from another point of view.
When writing the children will be practising using full stops and capital letters correctly as well as using commas in lists and question marks.
We will explore how to use a range of conjunctions to extend our sentences and will edit our work by reading it back in partners.
In the second half of term 4, we will read the poem The Owl and the Pussy Cat by Edward Lear which will also be the basis of our topic learning for the second half of the term.
We will be celebrating World Book Day on the 7th March so look out for more details in the newsletter and on the website.
The reading skills we will focus on are:
- responding to and discussing a text (asking questions, making comments, making links, giving opinions etc.)
- scanning the text to retrieve information
- using inference to answer questions
- recalling details from the story
- explaining why we think what we think
We will be learning about Fractions and Position and Direction. At the end of term 4 we will be starting to revise Place Value.
- Recognise, find, name and write fractions 1/3, 1/4, 2/4 and 3/4 of a length, shape, set of objects or quantity
- Write simple fractions for example, 1/2 of 6 = 3 and recognise the equivalence of 2/4 and 1/2.
Position and Direction
- Order and arrange combinations of mathematical objects in patterns and sequences.
- Use mathematical vocabulary to describe position, direction and movement, including
movement in a straight line and distinguishing between rotation as a turn and in
terms of right angles for quarter, half and three-quarter turns (clockwise and anticlockwise).
Other skills we will continue to focus on are:
- counting on and back in ones, twos, fives and tens - from zero and any number
HOME LEARNING opportunities
Whilst we do not set formal home learning in year 2, there are always opportunities to continue the learning at home!
1. READING, READING, READING! We can not stress how important it is that your child practises their reading as often as possible - ideally every day, at least 3 times per week!
2. Can you add up coins and find change up to £1.00?
You could use this website: http://www.ictgames.com/moneyPage.htm
3. Can you read o'clock and half past times? Now try quarter past and quarter to times!
You could use this website: http://www.ictgames.com/mobilePage/hickoryDickory/
4. Do you know the properties of 2D and 3D shapes?
You could use this website: http://www.learnalberta.ca/content/me3usa/flash/index.html?goLesson=14
5. Linking our learning to real life - Can you help with some cooking and measure the weight of the ingredients? Can you help pay for items in a shop by adding the coins? Can you measure how much juice to pour into the cup?
Curriculum Overview - Term 4
We have a cross-curricular approach to our learning and much of our learning centres around our key topic, this term it is:
Mrs Armitage's Vehicles / The Owl and The Pussy Cat
Our Mrs Armitage's Vehicles topic will continue for the first 3 weeks of term 4. This will include a wow day with the year 1 children at Elmgrove. The children loved making over their teacher's cars, reading Quentin Blake books and creating their own cars last term. This term we will continue to find out more about a range of vehicles through a variety of science and art activities.
In the second half of Term 4, our topic will be 'The Owl and the Pussy Cat' by Edward Lear. This poem will inspire us not only in our writing but also to create some great pieces of artwork.
These are our PE days for Term 4. However, please make sure children have their PE kit in school at all times as these days can change due to bad weather or unforeseen circumstances.
2W - Monday and Tuesday (Netball and indoor games)
2J - Monday and Tuesday (Netball and indoor games)
2B - Tuesday and Wednesday (Netball and large apparatus)
Please make sure the children have the following in their PE bag:
- A white t-shirt or polo shirt.
- Black shorts or trousers.
- Daps or trainers that they can do up themselves.
- Long hair should be tied back and earrings removed if possible.
Computing and E-safety
We will be learning how to use the internet safely, coding and learning some word processing skills.
Listening to and composing songs with links to transport and night animals.