70th Anniversary Playground Appeal
£70K for 70 Years
The children in Years 2 to 6 need a playground upgrade to improve their outdoor learning opportunities. They have been dreaming of a new playground since 2015, promised improvements to match the fantastic new play area at Elmgrove.
Full of ideas but with no ready money to make them happen, the school community has pulled together to launch a £70K for 70 Years anniversary playground appeal to help make their playground dreams come true.
So far ...
- School have ringfenced £3K
- The PTAF have donated £5K - Thank you to all involved!
- A donor has given £10K - Thank you lovely donor!
Next up - a Match Fund Challenge that could raise a further £10K
by Karen Sillence of Dragonfly Gardens
Drawing on ideas from our community consultation the plans include:
- forest school areas
- story circle
- digging and gardening zone,
- a greenhouse,
- bike and scooter park,
- a mud kitchen,
- a variety of adventure and imaginative play areas with climbing and play equipment to suit all ages and stages,
- a dedicated fenced off area for multisports
- undercover areas for outside learning
Terms 3 and 4: Match Fund Challenge!
*All donations up to £5,000 doubled until Easter*
How are we doing?
6 weeks to go ...
£690.41 raised, matched that will be £1,380.82
Let's make the full £5,000 and turn it into £10,000
How can you help us rise to this challenge?
Spread the word amongst family and friends who may wish to support
Go fundraising in the wider community. If every children in school raised £10 that would do it!
Stuck for ideas?
- Cake sale? Table top sale? Make a donation box / bucket with our 70th anniversary logo and off you go ... outside your house? Somewhere in town? Children just make sure you take some grown-up supervisors
- Sponsored run / walk / swim? Readathon? Dance-athon? Ask friends, family, neighbours, work colleagues to support you
- How about collecting odd coins in empty smarties or jelly bean tubes and emptying them into the donations boxes at school. There is one in each reception office. It all adds up ...
- How about holding your own small charity event - have a 'playground' tea party, invite your friends and family, 10p a guest, proceeds towards the playground appeal?
Report into email@example.com with news of your fundraising plans and successes so we can support and applaud you!
We'll be giving fundraising updates in the school newsletter each week.
Remember all funds up to £5,000 raised between January and Easter 2018 will be doubled.
If you have any enquiries or queries please contact Kate on firstname.lastname@example.org
In 2016 the school expanded adding a new infants site with fantastic play / outdoor learning area. The original school building site at Cotham Grove is now home to years 2 and 6. And the playground is a bit run down in comparison to its beautiful early years counterpart down at the Elmgrove site.
With limited core funding that has to be carefully prioritised, the school has been working on launching a fundraising appeal to realise its playground dreams for the 520 children currently on roll, plus others who visit for different reasons and the many more who will flood through the school gates into the foreseeable future.
Further to consultation, a tantalising playground masterplan has ben drawn up voluntarily by parent and designer, Karen Sillence of Dragonfly Gardens. Based on sound educational rationale and community ideas and suggestions, the plans provide children with as much opportunity for natural play in green surrounds as possible. Final touches are being concluded in consultation with staff, children and parents.
Costs and fundraising
It is our 70th anniversary, and if we can raise £70K towards this transformative plan in 2018, we will have covered very nearly, if not all of the project, which overall will probably cost nearer £100,000.
And guess what?
Between school savings, PTAF funds and further donations and pledges from other generous supporters, we have already raised and secured almost half of the funds, IF that is, we rise to the current match fund challenge - on until Easter 2018.
How to support the appeal
- Make a direct donation via parentpay or a donation box in the school receptions or send a cheque along with accompanying form
- Organise a fundraising activity and donate the resultant funds to the appeal (get your fundraising resources here)
- Support PTAF events
- Volunteer to help with trust and foundations and community fund applications
- Help school involve local business support
- Do you have match funding / community support schemes at work you could tap into?
- Volunteer to help with the actual work involved in making the playground improvements - a workshop approach is being developed
- Just spread the word!
- An online fundraising platform to facilitate support from the wider community is in development
Further schemes are being developed too - watch this space:
- Pledge £70 for 70 years with the option to pay in instalments
- Name a square of the playground
The Playground Appeal Team made up of school staff, parents and children will be co-ordinating the above activities. And will readily accept further ideas from enthused members of our community including the wider local community and alumni.
For further details and/or to get involved, please contact Kate on email@example.com